Oh Snap! Tabletop Photography

It's cold in Colorado. I like it (please ignore my sister snickering in the corner there in Az.), but am spending less time outdoors as a result. So, turned my attention to some photography I'd wanted to do for some time. Product, or tabletop photography.

My first attempt - I got hold of a small-scale model of the Tron bike (the new movie version) and played with it on a black mirror.

What's a black mirror? It's a pane of glass from a 24x36 framed picture I bought from Goodwill for $5. Tossed the cheap metal frame, stowed the artwork (in case I need a backdrop) and cleaned up the glass. Paint one side with black paint and you've got yourself a black mirror.

Here's what I came up with:

First, a little black-on-black actio
Lower the camera and hit the background with some blue light
Back up high (the angle I think of when I think Tron bike) and add smear to the mirror
Back down again after adding a second, orange light on the background.
Take orange background light off the stand, and aim it hand-held at the front rims

And there you have it.  the dulling spray I applied to the black mirror was streaked simply by pulling a cotton cloth through it. Combined with the non-spoked wheels it gives the illusion that the bike is screaming down the path.

At least, it does to me!

Hope you enjoyed...

0 comments:

Post a Comment