Obeying the Rules

My last post dealt with what we think about when we're shooting.  What do we internalize so it happens automatically, and what rules we consider when setting up a shot.  During my walk with the dogs I'd shot some birds and noticed, after the fact,  what rules I thought about and which I didn't.

A couple years ago I was pulled over and ticketed for not using my turn signals.  Now, I argued (with myself of course) that since no cars where around I didn't need to signal my intent.  Why do you have to signal when there's no traffic for heaven's sake?!

But in the days that followed I had to admit that I'd gotten lazy and out of the habit of using them except in certain tight situations.  And I found myself using them consistent from that point on.  2 years later I'm still a good boy, using my turn signals all the time.  Well, there is the rare time when no one's around... ... ... ;)

So, during today's walk I did some more bird shots - the day was warm and the sky mostly covered with high clouds.  I found myself thinking about all the rules I'd either ignored last time and it effected my shooting greatly.  I'm happier with this session, and I choose to believe it has something to do with being deliberate.  Internalizing some things (like checking your camera settings before each session) makes sense, but when it's time to shoot I realize that I want to do it consciously.  The experience was richer, more fulfilling.  My success rate was higher, my total image count was lower and I only had to throw a couple out for bad framing (hate when I cut off their tails).

Last time I took my 7D with a 24-105mm F/4-5.6 lens.  The combination wasn't the best choice for shooting birds cause you just can't get close enough without them flying away.  I had to do some serious cropping to get the images I shared.  This time I attached my 70-200 F/2.8 and the results were significantly better.  I still had to get closer than some birds liked, but those I shot required very little cropping, which gave me nicer closeups.

So, here's the results of raising my consciousness:

To self: Push the rule of thirds here to keep the main trunk from overpowering the birds

To Self: Step up the incline so the branch doesn't cut through his head

To Self: Next time you're shooting movable objects, set follow-focus and
burst mode and you won't have to rely so much on luck!!

To Self: Breaking the horizontal rule of thirds can work sometimes
and one "Atta Boy" for creative use of negative space

To Self:  Anticipate the grab so you catch him with his mouth open

To Self:  Ah... forget it - you already talk to yourself too much anyway!


The last 3 images were deliberately overexposed.  Sometimes a white  sky background can create an interesting effect, especially if you push it just a little.  I really like these last 3 - I can't tell you why, but I really do.  The negative space adds to the feel as well.  Moving the bird to the right of the frame just made it feel too busy.  Maybe that was because all the earlier shots were, and I'd grown tired of the look.  Not sure why, but it was a conscious decision to frame it as I did.


OH!  While I'm thinking about it - if you're going to shoot movable objects, try shooting them actually doing something.  You'll notice the conspicuous lack of berries in the 1st image, and a certain sedentary feel to the bird.  After shooting him I noticed the tree with the berries had more birds, then realized they were eating the old, dried berries.  In the remaining shots  the birds were either in the act of choosing a berry or grabbing one.  In the 2nd image, even though the bird was sitting, he still seems to be active, searching for a berry to grab.  And the remaining all have energy and intent as well.  It's much better to shoot that!


Hope you enjoyed...

0 comments:

Post a Comment