A walk around the farms

Well, 3 walks to be exact (No, 4!!! I did an hour with Skittles and Journey first!). I've been volunteering as a trainer at Denkai, an animal shelter just east of here in the middle of farm country. I try to get out there 3 times/week and I typically work with at least 3 dogs during my visits.

Today I met Spunky, an 11 month old Siberian Husky that arrived yesterday. He was surrendered by his owners for chewing and high energy and general lack of self control. Apparently they never exercised him. Uh, people... 11 month old puppy here!!!

Spunky is not his fault, it's the name the shelter gave him....


Sweet little guy, he's all smiles and cuddles and wants lots of belly rubs and affection. Didn't take me long to fall in love (no Sis, I'm not adopting him). And it didn't take long to get him used to a leash. Apparently it was his first walk on one.

Then I walked Blue - I'd like to show you a picture of him, but he wouldn't cooperate so I'll have to try again later. (this is what they call a teaser in the blogger biz)

So, my last walk was with Kona. She's a Labrador/Pit-Bull mix, and she's all calm and loving and little bit scaredy-cat. I think she'd make a great Daddy (if you don't know what I mean, you're outa luck unless you can catch an old episode of "Dog Whisperer")

Meet Kona. She's getting her bandage cut off (she had a lump on her tail that was removed)

I had a great time with her, and fell even more in love. She's such a calm dog, she might could help with my guys as a role model. But she DOES have an obsession with balls, and so does my guy Journey. Between the two of them, Skittles would never get a ball again!  (and no Sis.... well... ... ...)

We did have one other companion on the walk, but this tiny little guy had a real problem keeping up, and we quickly left him in the dust, so to speak... Not that it mattered to him...



Art Wolfe is a world-renowned photographer, and he's working on an interesting book where every image has a critter that's hiding within the image. When I caught this picture I thought of his project. The tail of the snake wraps perfectly around a rock buried in the dirt, and his (her? I didn't want to lift the tail to find out - besides, how could you tell?) head lined up perfectly with the crack. Without the shadow, this little guy would blend in perfectly.

Oh, by the way - ALL these images were shot with my iPhone - the 3G, not the new improved 3Gs...

Hope you enjoy

0 comments:

Post a Comment