The Rainy Season

Those of you that live in northern Colorado know we've been getting a ton of rain lately. Yesterday I heard a rumor that the Poudre river, which runs through part of my subdivision, was 8 feet over the flood line.

Not knowing what a flood line is, I thought I'd have a look, so we took a stroll to see what we could find.

Uh... Wow!!!

Click to view larger

This first image is a pano covering a corner of our local park. It distorts reality a tad, as I stood in the center and rotated 90 degrees as I captured this body of water. Nonetheless it shows how the Poudre overflowed it's boundaries. Here's the fun part: the water has already started receding. You'll notice (in the larger view) a white line showing the highest the water got.


We walked around the east side of the water and got as close as we could to the soccer goal. I would have preferred an angle that put the tip of the nearest diagonal post right in line with the front leg of the other, but there was a tree in the water I could get around.


While we were there I did this pano (only cause I just had my 100-400 with me) of the offending tree...


Our walking path takes us under this bridge. When the water is at it's normal level, there's about 9 feet of clearance as we walk under. Here, the water is only 3-4 feet below it. The city closed the road to keep traffic off. The power of water is pretty strong, and it wouldn't do to be driving over it if the middle pillar is taken out.


Hope you enjoy

0 comments:

Post a Comment