A slight distraction...

It's not green, so I decided to post it separately. I mentioned at the end of my previous post that my girl Skittles stuck by my side, off leash, whenever I stopped to take a picture.

Well, that's mostly true. She DID get a little overexcited when we ran into this less-than-little distraction:


This shot was actually taken some time after our initial encounter. THIS is what she looked like for my first shot:


Can you guess why??? When I first noticed the turtle, I also noticed Skittles getting a bit too interested. Before I couuld grab her she tore off to meet a new friend. I focused on getting her back by my side and calm (didn't take long, she just wanted to say "hi").

Ok, dog is calm, sitting and staying where placed, so I wander over and get this closeup head shot. Backed off and waited with my girl till the critter calmed enough to stretch out, at which point she decided she'd had enough of us and took off into the bushes.


With any luck, we'll get to see her/him again. ... .... Uh, by the way, anyone know how to tell the male from the female? Without flipping it over?!

Did a little research when I got home - it's a common snapping turtle. The web sites on these guys say their fast and dangerous... a friend read that they tend to be crankier on land. Right about now I'm thinking - MAN is Skittles lucky or what?! She was right on top of it before I could recall her, and had time for a couple sniffs before she returned.

I'd call that lucky....

1 comments:

John Cowie Photography said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment