Oh Snap! Birds adrift

First, a little kick in the pants...  Yesterday I left the camera behind while we went for our morning walk around Windsor Lake. Reason? How many ways can you shoot the same birds relaxing in the water? Or taking off, or sitting in a tree? I figured I'd shot everything there was to shoot there.

 So of course we no sooner start our walk when we came across a pack (family?) of 5 red foxes hanging out at the old Eaton House. They spied us as we stopped, but of course since I didn't have my camera they pretty much ignored us. They played together, climbed on things and each other and pretty much just stayed there unperturbed by our presence.

(sigh, whimper, whine)... ...

So this morning, despite the fact our planned route had nothing of photographic interest, I took my camera. And am I glad I did!

There's this tiny lake just off the path. I've never see anything of interest along it. This morning it had a large group of Pelican's, and one Heron. When we first passed them, the pelican's were on the far side of the lake. As we passed again on the return leg, there was a small group on our side.

Here's what I caught:

First, a note - with respect to the pelicans, I wish I'd shot video instead of stills. There was one pelican facing straight at me, slowly drifting sideways. For whatever reason he drifted slower than the pelicans that passed behind him. It was so cool to watch!

I had no clue how to show this with stills. This series is the best I could come up with.


Pretty cool, huh?

I had my eye glued to the viewfinder and didn't see this fellow stop by. He wasn't there when I sat down to shoot the pelicans, and I'm glad I spotted him before I stood up. If I hadn't, my bet is he would have flown away. I've never been able to get this close before.
.
Typical pose for these guys,
looks much cooler on this pole!

A little stretch...

Then on to other fishing spots.

This guy actually hung around a bit before taking off. Didn't do much more than what you see here. Looked left, then right, then stood on one leg awhile. Stretched, then took off. Not necessarily in that order....

Hope you enjoy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment