Oh Snap! Something to look up to!!

Took my dogs for a walk around Windsor Lake, and brought along my camera and 100-400 zoom in the hopes the eagles would still be hanging around. And I got lucky!

In the hour we were out there, the light was constantly changing. When we arrived, the entire eastern horizon was filled with clouds, and the sun was barely burning through. By the time we got to the tree on the N.E. end of the lake, the clouds had started to burn off... or shift south... or go whatever clouds do when you're not paying attention. It created an interesting sky to shoot these two:

(click images to see a larger version)


Even with a 400 zoom, you have to get in pretty close, and luckily the eagles didn't care about one old guy and his dogs. Problem I ran into was finding a clear angle that didn't have branches in the way - it simply didn't exist... So, I compromised and found a spot where the adult wasn't too covered and the youngster only a little....

By this time, the western sky was pretty much clear, and the sun had burned through from the east and the sky turned a nice blue to compliment the warmth hitting the birds:

Youngster looks impressive in size like this


Right next to this tree is an old fashioned power pole, and another youngster was hanging out on. Took just a few steps and go this:



Now, I'm standing there clicking away, my dogs are mostly staying put, but occasionally when they'd nose around at the end of their leash. Through all that this youngster never showed any agitation or concern. He just sat there and watched. My guys are too big to be breakfast, so I figure he/she (how do you tell?!) was just curious.

These guys never did much but look left and right, and stare at us, and I finally had to leave so we could finish and go get breakfast. Sure enough, as soon as we work our way to the south side of the lake, the 2 in the tree went fishing.

And, of course, I'm not anywhere near close enough to get a good shot.

(sigh)... there's always tomorrow!!!


Hope you enjoyed....

0 comments:

Post a Comment