Jill Greenberg, part 3

So, ring flash in hand I gritted my teeth and waded in for another shot at dialing in Jill Greenberg's lighting look.

Without going into a ton of details let me just say "We ain't dere yet!". But I believe we are getting closer. My versions are deeper, richer in color, darker in general and perhaps more contrasty than her work. In essence, it feels heavy when I look at my images as opposed to hers.

Hers are lighter, more whimsical in her overall look. The only whimsy I'm getting is the expressions I manage to capture. And this time I got some great ones!  While trying to dial in my lighting I'm also dialing in my technique for getting interest and animation from my dogs. Funny voices, squeaky sounds (no, I will not record my sessions!) even a stuffed toy balanced on top of my head. Whatever it takes, yes?!

Anyway, here's a few of my favorites, sans any comments (I hope):

First up, Clyde!


Geez, keeping my quips to myself is harder than I thought!


In the above shots, the background was right up against the posing table. In this next series, I pushed it back and added a gridded light down low and shooting up onto the dark gray paper...

He-he-he... LUNCH! (slurp!)

Ok, ok, couldn't leave that last one alone!


I got a lot of shots of Skittles flicking her tongue, licking her nose, etc. The trick? I smeared vegetable oil on her nose, or in the case of the last image, on the stuffed toy. Sneaky, I know but hey, it gave her a "wet nose" shine, got her animated and resulted in some cool shots!


Hope you enjoy...

0 comments:

Post a Comment