Take 2: Finding Miss Greenberg...

Still studying, tweaking and refining my lighting as I study Jill Greenberg's awesome work.I'm not quite there yet, but getting closer!


This is a rough sketch of the layout I used. Pardon the primate standing in for the canine, the application didn't have any puddy models. The background was dark gray paper.

The 2 gridded back lights provide a rim, highlighting the sides and giving depth, interest and separation from the background. OH, since I couldn't expect a Puddy to sit still while I dialed things in, I grabbed a substitute that would...


The 2 umbrellas provide a fill to lift the shadows. They're positioned so the fill is even across the width of the table, so puddies can move, as they're apt to do, and still have good light on them.


Finally, a 3rd light targets the model directly, creating interesting specular light on their face and lifting it even brighter into a key light status. Jill seems to typically use a ring flash which, when integrated with the camera, allows her to target the light directly on the model no matter where they go. I don't have a ring flash, so I tried using an 11" reflector on one of my strobes. Downside is different light quality, and since I'm working alone, the inability to track my Puddies when they move.



Once I had everything dialed in, I pressed my favorite Puddy Skittles into posing yet again. As you can see, she was really thrilled to help out!

So, what am I thinking John?!

(Hey, at least her ears are up this time!)

You SURE you want to point that at me?

(I just love her eyes!!!)

I had such good luck with Skittles, thought I'd push the limit and put Clyde up on the table. Lesson: When working with a Tripawd (3 legged dog) make sure the surface isn't slick. They can't hold a sitting position. I no sooner placed Clyde where I wanted then his front legs just slid out and he ended up laying down. I figured "what the heck" and tried a shot to see how versatile my lighting was...


Not bad! The 11" reflector isn't hitting his face, but is highlighting the top of his head. However, now he's close enough to the fill umbrellas to get good lighting on his face. 


Not too shabby!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment