Sketching: portrait of a kitty

David duChemin is a photographer that I've quickly come to admire and draw inspiration from. I have 2 of his books, "Within the Frame" and "VisionMongers", and I just ordered a third, "Vision and Voice". I also just attended his 3 day workshop that covered some of the topics in these books and more.

During his workshop he introduced the concept of sketch photos: images that aren't yet complete. Every photographer has gotten home, uploaded images from our camera and discovered that the shot we thought we bagged is not quite there yet. Something distracting in the background we didn't notice, framing just slightly off, maybe something's missing that would complete the story we're trying to tell.

These images then are the sketches. By studying them we can make decisions on how to improve on them. Maybe change our angle of view to eliminate a line cutting through a subjects head. Perhaps shooting with a longer or shorter focal length to change the background enough to eliminate a distraction or include more of the environment.

Sketch images, then, are like a novelist's first, second, third draft...

Here's some sketches I recently shot of a kitten at the Denkai Animal Sanctuary:







And yes, there are things I see that could be improved... However - how am I doing so far?!

Hope you enjoy

2 comments:

Marcia Klingenberg said...

I really like these. The first is my least favorite, because of the eyes not being fully open. This is a rare shot as kitties eyes are usually wide to the world, even when they first wake from their frequent naps. but this kitty seems to be more cooperative in posing than most. I am not sure how you were able to get him to stay in that small vase long enough to get this variety of shots. Good job!!

KitKat said...

I like the third one - the light covering half of her face, she's kind of lazing to the side (yes I made up a word). Feels relaxed and comfortable to me. :)

Post a Comment